Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Santi Learns to Read

Is it really reading? Or has my little boy memorized his favorite books? Does it start there? Memorization to actual comprehension? Whatever it is. I am happy to hear him read out aloud together with me before naptime & bedtime each day :)

Because of Max and his private boat (main character of book above), Santi has a sudden new interest in the boats we see docked on the beach.
Here's another book he knows by heart. This book below was just a hand-me-down by my little cousins from New Jersey. Much appreciated Tito Robert, thank you!

I am so glad to have shipped that heavy box of books here. A shipment of balikbayan box costs P750 each from Manila to Palawan. It really is worth every peso because I haven't seen any book stores here (even in the city) and yes, we don't have television. So, my son relies on nature and books for learning, which I totally prefer :)

Read up! Here's a link about reading & language development another one here.

To other moms - don't you love it when you read to them with their utmost attention until they sleep? ;)

5 comments:

idealgirl said...

That truly is great Mon.. I can just imagine you and Santi. I agree with you on children being entertained with nature instead of television. There is this school in Iloilo now for kids that is based on that. Every child goes back to nature and reading books and playing with farm animals is highly developed. They believe that kids should eat the right food. Anything processed and sodas are not encouraged at all. It's very organic actually. Also, the owner is not a yogi but she does act like one. I should visit that place one of these days when I go home to my province, and in the future have my children go there for school. :)

Donna said...

Keep it up! It is important to introduce them to reading as early a possible so they will learn to love reading. It really is the basis of all school learning.

It's ok even if he just memorized it or he actually read it. It may help him if you point to each word as you read it so that he can eventually "spot" words and read them without sounding out each letter. In A's school they are learning to read through sounding out each letter (phonics) and through "sight words" like "the" "where" "he" "she" which would make no sense if read according to the letter sounds. (It helps them with their spelling too later.)

I started A so early on books, reading every night to her since she was just a few months old. I think it has paid off since she loves reading now and has not had difficulty in learning to read. I feel a little sad though because she can read fairly well now so she'd rather read herself then me reading to her. She's growing up so fast!

thegloryboxstar said...

hi miss monica =) I have been reading your blog for sometime now since I stumbled upon IndigoBaby last year, I want to THANK YOU for sharing your thoughts and the things that you have learned as a Mom cos its a great help for first time Moms like me :D

thegloryboxstar said...

hi miss monica =) I have been reading your blog for sometime now since I stumbled upon IndigoBaby last year, I want to THANK YOU for sharing your thoughts and the things that you have learned as a Mom cos its a great help for first time Moms like me :D

Ana Kamila G. Niguidula said...

yes it starts here Mon! make it practice also to point to the words with your finger while you read it . This allows santi to have word recognition. Its actually a faster way to teach reading. Comprehension, for kids like Santi actually come first. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...