Friday, February 26, 2010

The Eve Before Palawan

It's the eve before I fly to Palawan with my husband and my son. I have been mentioning this in my posts but haven't really dedicated a single entry explaining why. Most of those who we have told think this is a radical, ambitious move. Perhaps, you'll gain a sense of it- our reasons for moving...after reading what I have to say.

In the past few days, I have been having mixed emotions about this big change, uprooting ourselves from the comfortable life and its familiar routines. When I look at my parents' eyes and see at how lovingly they gaze at Santi, my heart takes a dip because I know they will be missing their beloved grandson. I know Santi will ask for his lolo and lola because no one will spoil him with junk (chocolates, ice cream, french fries, & god forbid.. pork!!!) and television. Even if our parenting styles are on opposite poles, I know that your love for him is genuine and I truly appreciate that. After spending a full day with my girl friends, I am grateful to have such amazing women around to rant and rave with. Days and nights will not be the same without their companionship, humor, and trust. Looking at my current city location, I appreciate the convenience of food joints, the grocery, salons...and the malls...oh, the malls! Good-bye to retail eye candy. Shopping will no longer be a past-time of mine. I will be freed from your material lures.

I want to, need to detox.

Detox from money, material things, entertainment, media, pollution, distractions. Do you realize how much time you waste looking at advertisements? Staring at numerous products & racking our brains for better choices at the grocery shelf? Sitting in the middle of traffic? Gossiping? How about the messages we unconsciously send to our children about wealth, power & fame? Will they grow up wanting to join this rat race? Study hard (maybe even aspiring an MBA), work even harder...for what?

Well, we beg to differ.

Within 24 hours, we will be transported to 'greener pastures'. (literally!) Not everyone will see it the way we do, though. On the contrary, others may not appreciate the quiet solitude of provincial life. Few will realize the purpose of going back to basics in a world where the emphasis is on gains. To those deeply rooted in this urban jungle, it's quite insane to do what we aim to do. But we're taking the leap because I want my family to breathe fresh air. I want my son to run in big open spaces, learn to swim in the ocean not just in the chlorine pool
climb big old trees just like the old days.I want him to live amidst nature, learn to value & respect all sentient beings. I want to plant organic herbs & vegetables and eat nutrient-dense crops. I want to sew, crochet and knit. Read in peace. I want to mountain bike, practice & teach yoga, meditate in an environment brimming with life. Bask under the hot tropical sun and howl at the full moon. Dance with every fiber of my being. I want to be wild and free.

We just want to simplify and learn to appreciate life's little (but bigger & better!) things. Our family's goal is to live with less, but create and have more. More time for each other and ourselves, more health, more love & happiness. Now, think about it, isn't that something worth achieving? :) Like I always say, we only live once...so I dare you to live it!

So..for now, goodnight and adieu to the big (bad) city! Tomorrow we will wake up in...paradise!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi dharma. i can truly understand you. i lived in Bacolod for 23 years, worked and got married in Manila. now having a little boy of own, i want to raise him in the province as well. simple living.. and kids are still raised in the old fashion way... conservative and fed with moral values in school.

Anonymous said...

i am with u in this, and i admire your courage mon! this is LOVE :) please keep blogging. I am on fb diet but ill keep checking your blog site.

Pat Grace said...

I love how you explain it. :) We'll, well almost, follow that greener pasture theme. Hopefully. But not that far. Sta. Rosa lang. hehe. Good luck on your move! Hopefully, I'd see you if ever we go there for a break from the city.

Donna said...

good luck monica! i hope everything will turn out well for you and your family. you are actually doing what others only dream about!

Janice said...

Hey Mons,

I'm one who never had a full grasp as to why you are moving after we saw each other in Legazpi Market. I'm amazed at what you are doing after reading the blog. All the best!

:) and I will text you when I am in Palawan.

idealgirl said...

Hey Mon! I applaud you for this radical change. This truly is inspiring. I Wish we had the courage to detach from the commercial and go back to how life was pure and simple, fresh and clean.. maybe someday we will see this through your eyes and make that big move.. for now keep blogging, keep us inspired.. Much love to all of you!

Katrina Villareal said...

Looking forward to reading about your new life in Palawan, Mon :)

Anonymous said...

If I had a family of my own, I would consider this move too. -Dinx

Jenny said...

i grew up in davao city while stan grew up in cebu and we talk about how naima doesn't have that big open space/garden we enjoyed, the proximity to the beach (10 minutes away for me) and mountain resorts ... good luck on the big move mon!

Zharmagne said...

Wonderful post! I admite your courage and your will power to make things BETTER for you. You literally moved to greener pasteur.

Take care

Anonymous said...

Hi Monica! Like Jenny, i grew up in Davao City. I am the firstborn and was born in the heart of mega Manila (Pasay...eeeek!). As their family grew, my parents decided to relocate to Davao before I turned four years old. My childhood memories were the happiest. Philippine Eagle. Beach. Seashells. Star Fish. Sea Urchins. Sand. Happy People. Clean air. No McDo/Jolibee/KFC/Burger King. Cheerful taxi drivers. My very observant husband have commented several times, "do you know that whenever you speak of your childhood days and memories of your family in Davao, your face brightens like sunshine?". :) ---jowan/sintaaa

Mandy said...

hi monica, my husband & i have been thinking about doing this for a few months now. we just don't know where to go in particular nor know what we will end up doing there! all we know is that we want a simpler life, get away from all the pollution & materialism. i guess in a way, i feel that we are not yet ready to give up the luxuries we're enjoying now... oh well. soon perhaps we will be able to do that. good luck in your new life in palawan. hope everything goes well for you & your family.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...