Thursday, October 18, 2007

Baby Led Weaning

I have less than a month until the recommended age (6 months) for Santi to start on solids. I have been researching and reading as much as I can on this topic and found out about BLW (baby led weaning) through a Continuum Concept support group. At first I was confused because weaning is the farthest on my mind right now. I plan to breastfeed him forever! Haha Well, for as long as he wants. I'm surely going to get the blues once I wean him :(

But after reading several articles on BLW like this and this and this ... I finally got the concept. It does NOT necessarily mean weaning my baby. IN fact, BLW is the best transition to feeding for breastfed babies! Main therory here is a baby is ready to eat when he or she is physically able to do so. (ex. sitting upright, watching you eat like a vulture, reaching out for your food and putting the piece in his/her mouth) There is no mashing of food, making purees (thank god!) And it encourages good eating habits (none of that spoon feeding and running after your toddler during mealtimes!) This is very interesting and will definitely practice with Santi. He does watch me eat and reaches out for the food but I have yet to cook healthier meals. None of the trash I currently eat. Ha!

I am a sucker for information so I even joined a UK based BLW forum for tips and recipes! For those of you intrigued, search on youtube baby led weaning and you will see adorable videos of babies feeding themselves all sorta foodies like pears, toast and what not! Watch out for Santi's first few BLW sessions. I will take videos and post for ya'll ;)

1 comment:

deelirious said...

feeding is fun and although ben gags a bit and gets me all nervous, the little eater ALWAYS coughs the fruit bits out!! amazing!
thanks for sharing this fab concept with me! bye bye crappy puree!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...